

Some of you may notice a tainted smell arriving from our direction. If so, it's because I've forbidden anyone living under this roof to take a shower until further notice. Today I accomplished my semi-annual cleaning of the bathrooms. This means that no one may use the toilet, wash their hands, shower, or brush their teeth, or leave any other evidence of existence. As a result of scrubbing away grime and water-stains all morning, I am in need of a shower myself. However, the question is: where? Do I use my own glass shower that is so sparkly clean I can actually see my reflection in it? Should I use the kids' bathroom where the counter is white again after scraping layers of dried toothpaste off? Should I use the guest bathroom that has a huge STOP sign on the front door since we have company arriving in a few days and no one is allowed to step foot inside? The last time I cleaned the bathrooms, Ravi asked me after school what I had done all day. I told him. He said, "Mom, that's a lot of work to work all day cleaning the bathrooms -- and for what? The bathroom's clean. Oh well." I have to say I agree with him, which is why I can't muster the time, energy, or creative outlets for Bronte and Yared to keep them busy while I accomplish such a large hurdle more than once in a long while. Yes, I will do a quick clean of the counter tops periodically and Windex the mirrors. But this kind of cleaning only comes when the build-up is so intense it requires serious effort and actually counts as my aerobic exercise for the day. I don't recall anyone, ever -- relation or stranger -- commenting on how impressed they were with such an accomplishment. "Wow! What clean bathrooms you have! I noticed how clean the light fixtures are and how you must have spent extra time on the faucets to get them shining. Wow! You used earth-friendly products too? And washed all the towels and rugs and vacuumed loose hairs and dust? And kept your children busy painting and exploring through imaginary play? Wow! That toilet seat is clean enough to eat off of too!" It just doesn't happen. So, if any of you want to come visit, please do -- immediately. Otherwise, there's no guarantee we'll have things clean for you...
3 comments:
You are hilarious. I admire your spunk! Hail to the clean bathroom! I appreciate your hard work, honestly, I do.
Your bathroom looks great! I know how it feels to clean and wonder if anyone even notices or the next day/moment it is a mess again. Oh the joys of house work!! I do know one thing... if I don't clean I NOTICE.
Cleaning the bathrooms is a thankless task and I am the same way, even with no small kids around, the bathroom has to be EXTREMELY noticeably dirty for me to do the top to bottom. And have you noticed, it never gets dirty enough for the men to take it upon themselves to clean? Nothing against the boys, but hey, we all know their tolerance level for dried toothpaste and waterspots on the mirror is MUCH higher than ours.
Post a Comment