Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Bushwalking 101

If you've ever run a marathon or done anything equally daunting, don't bother reading this. You're already in another league. This post is for anyone like me who's a bit out of shape, not at the top of their game, but trying to get going again...

Some friends in my ward are training for the Oxfam Trailwalker event held in August. This consists of teams of 4 walking 100km for 24-48 hours straight. It's one of the most challenging team events like this in the world (http://www2.oxfam.org.au/trailwalker/sydney/). So, when they told me about it, I invited myself along for their training sessions Saturday mornings. I don't know what I was thinking -- maybe it would be a good way to make friends, get out of the house, see a bit of nature...whatever was I thinking?

I've survived (literally) two such bushwalks on Saturday mornings. I am still reeling with pain. These ladies are amazing. They walk at lightning speed, not stopping once during the 4-hour session. For those of you who are thinking, "I could walk fast for 4 hours, that's not so tough..." let me tell you a bit about the terrain. We walk straight down and straight up, traversing challenging terrain on every front. It's so beautiful that I'm dazzled by it all, as if I have time to look around, and it's really just stunning. But it's also very challenging.

This past Saturday we left home at 5:15a.m., got on the trail by 6:05 a.m. with headlamps, water hydration packs, and my new trail shoes. We walked straight downhill until I thought we might hit the center of the earth -- all I could think about other than not falling was having to eventually come back up. Then we stayed relatively level, walking for 4 hours through what can only be described as a jungle. I kept thinking of "Phantom of the Opera" and keeping my hand at the level of my eye. I hoped to avoid being pricked, poked, scraped, bitten, or eaten -- which I did successfully. The ground and vegetation was quite damp from recent rain and I was grateful for proper shoes that kept me upright and dry.

For the first two hours, I felt pretty good: quite proud of myself for getting out, pressing forward, seeing some new trails. The final 2 hours were a bit more grueling as my body was crying out: "What are you doing to me? How do you expect me to do this after sitting in an air-conditioned house in Djibouti for two years? Do you think you're still 21 or something?" I tried not to listen, pressing onward, knowing that the only way out was to keep going. Ultimately I did finish, always behind the others but at least I finished. For that I am proud of myself. I didn't need the aid of emergency helicopter services, which I thought I might many times.

I could go on and on, but I better save my energy for going up and down the stairs -- a task that is quite grueling at present. If any of you come visit in Sydney, I've got some great trails to try (start training now...)

One of many lessons learned: There is amazing beauty all around but sometimes you have to work pretty hard to find it.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Gret! Sounds like you are hardcore hiker woman. You go girl. Get in shape and inspire us all!!

Unknown said...

Whether "Wallaby" or "Wannaby" life sounds great in the land down under. Keep pressing forward and lead us all to be in shape when we come to pet the kangaroos.

The Ruff Family said...

I am sitting here laughing my head off remembering all the times you forced me to go jogging with you on the mission.. Now you know how out of shape i was then... So how is life there... Tell me what you have been up to...