Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Save the bird

While outside the other day, Bronte watched a rainbow lorikeet crash into our window and land in the bushes, wounded. It seemed fine except that it could no longer fly and kept hopping around while its partner looked on from a nearby tree. If it had been a mean crow I probably would have let it suffer, but these lorikeets are just so beautiful and they come to visit often. What to do with 4 children looking on? I crawled through the spider infested bushes with Halloween pumpkin bucket in one hand and sand castle bucket in the other, trying to get him/her inside without losing a digit. I succeeded, loaded the 4 kids in the car, drove to the community vet down the way, found a parking spot, found a safe place to cross the busy road, pushing the pram while shepherding kids while holding terrified bird in between buckets. After waiting for the kind woman in front of me to finish getting detailed advice and buying two boxes of dog food that cost $159, it was our turn. I filled out a wildlife rescue form, stating what happened and where the bird was found. They gently moved the bird into a safe place and it will go to a wildlife rescue center, where they will nurse it back to health and release it again in the wild. I love Australia!

No comments: